Medora Case Study: Using the Latest Technology to Unlock Performance and Profitability.

The Challenge

Our client, a leader in the mining, energy, and transportation industry, came to us because they had a wide range of technological products, but weren’t getting the performance they needed in the field. Their current configuration included mobile devices that were being used for navigation, telematics, and on-site situation monitoring.

While their existing equipment and software combination had once been cutting-edge, they were using devices that weren’t up to date, and were incorporating a large number of third-party libraries near the end of their lifecycle. Even worse, the source code for some of these libraries was no longer available, meaning any attempts to keep using them would have to involve reverse-engineering solutions from the ground up.

As a result, the client was having significant performance issues, especially when it came to rendering maps of their mines. Because the processors on their mobile equipment were being taxed to their limit, any attempts to use software were sluggish and limited. Given those limitations, implementing new features was out of the question.

Medora’s Solution

Our first step was to have the Medora development team perform a code analysis, tension marking their current software and finding the points where bottlenecks were hurting performance. Additionally, we reverse-engineered the third-party libraries that our client relied upon, changing and optimizing the code as we went to streamline it for future use.

During this process, we found that there were two major limitations to their current system that were causing their technology to grind to a halt: an issue with their graphics hardware, and the way their application threading model had been integrated. By optimizing the graphics to a lower level and completely redesigning the threading structure, we were able to eliminate these issues.

The Results

After the Medora programming and development team had made these changes, rendering performance improved substantially – tests showed that our configuration was 10-15 times faster. In addition, the new programming code was simpler and more stable.

With these improvements in place, our client was able to take on bigger mining projects. Additionally, their development team is no longer constrained by technology, opening the door to new technology features and ideas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

css.php